First and foremost, I would like to thank the Board of Education, administrative team, faculty, staff, students and parents for their unwavering support during these most difficult times. The COVID-19 pandemic has put additional stress on all of our lives and has greatly impacted all of us in very personal ways. Please know that we will continue to work together to overcome these obstacles and look forward to re-opening the Hanover Park Regional High School District in the near future. Governor Murphy outlined decisions related to the closure of all New Jersey Public Schools through June 30, 2020.
That being said, the Hanover Park Regional High School District Board of Education, administrative team, and faculty have been working diligently to devise plans related to end of year events. The following is an outline of how we will accomplish these important tasks for our students:
– Final Exams have been canceled for the 2019-2020 school year. Students will receive an exemption from all final exams. As per our school calendar, the last day of instruction will be June 22, 2020.
– All athletics and extracurricular activities/events are canceled for the 2019-2020 school year. The district will continue to monitor events to determine the start dates for the Fall 2020 athletic season and extracurricular activities.
– All students who need to retrieve personal belongings will be able to register for a specific 15-minute time slot from May 26 through May 29. Registration time slots will be sent to students prior to May 26 via email and will be posted on the high schools’ websites. Upon entering campus, only students are permitted, must practice social distancing, and wear masks.
– Underclassmen Awards will be sent home to students/parents via email from your building principal.
– Senior Awards will be broadcasted at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, June 15 via email link. In late May, parents will receive an email advising them that their senior student will be receiving an award. A video link will be sent to identified parents/students at 7:00 p.m. on June 15 highlighting the awards achieved for each individual student. Senior Awards will be picked up the weeks of June 22 or June 29 according to the information listed below.
– Senior Proms have been canceled. PTO/Project Graduation committees may potentially develop alternative events this summer for the Class of 2020.
– Graduations for the Classes of 2020 will be done via virtual format in the following manner:
• Caps/gowns will be picked up in a structured, grab and go format the week of May 26 using the front circle. Building Principals will be in touch with senior students and parents via email regarding this process. Assigned registration time slots for caps/gowns will be sent via email and posted on the high schools’ websites.
• Graduation time slots will take place the week of June 1, 2020. These assigned time slots will be allocated in late May, sent via email, and posted on the high schools’ websites. During their assigned time slot the week of June 1, individual students will be able to enter the auditorium in cap and gown with up to two (2) guests and receive a diploma cover. Diplomas will be sent following the ceremony broadcasts via regular mail. A videographer and photographer will be onsite to capture each student’s procession. A final graduation video will be broadcasted via YouTube on their regularly scheduled graduation times: – Whippany Park High School – 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 25 – Hanover Park High School – 6:00 p.m. on Friday, June 26
• Additional specific information related to graduation will be coming via email from your building principals shortly.
– Senior students who need to return school items (textbooks, athletic equipment, etc.), obtain their yearbook, and collect senior awards will be able to register for a 15-minute time slot the weeks of June 22 and June 29. Registration links will be sent to the Senior Class via email and posted on the high schools’ websites prior to those dates and will be posted on the high schools’ websites. Upon entering campus, students must practice social distancing and wear masks upon entry. – Underclassmen students who need to return school items will be able to drop off their items on Tuesday, June 23, and Wednesday, June 24. Tents and tables will be set up in the main parking lots for collection between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Yearbook distribution for underclassmen will be determined at a point over the summer.
In keeping the health and safety of our students and staff of utmost importance, these are extenuating circumstances that have caused us to make these difficult decisions. We will continue to monitor events as they present to determine protocols for a summer or fall reopening. Thank you again for your continued support. I wish you continued health and congratulate our Class of 2020.
Maria C. Carrell
Superintendent of Schools