HANOVER — Twenty-three projects in Morris County are set to benefit from $3.6 million in grants. These funds, part of an annual initiative, aim to rejuvenate and safeguard historic sites within the locality.
Including this grant disbursement, Morris County has awarded nearly $50 Million on preservation efforts at 122 historic locations since 2003, when awards were first issued for protecting historic sites through Morris County’s Preservation Trust Fund. The properties have benefited through 535 grants, with some properties receiving multiple grants over the years to conduct planning, acquisition, and construction projects.
“The staff and volunteers do a phenomenal job evaluating these applications and recommending how to invest our dollars. People often thank the Commissioners for the money. Still, it ultimately comes from the taxpayers, who always overwhelmingly support these programs, and, fortunately, they do,” stated Commissioner Stephen Shaw, liaison to the Historic Preservation Trust Fund Review Board.
The Samuel Tuttle House receives a $338,300 exterior repair and stabilization grant in Hanover.
The Joseph Tuttle House is a 2½ story gambrel-roofed house with a 1½ story gable kitchen wing. Built in 1796, the house retains its original character with only minor alterations and additions. The Tuttle family was prominent in the early history of Whippany and Morris County. The Tuttles were among the first families to purchase land and settle in Hanover Township. The land that the house is built on was purchased in 1776 by Joseph Tuttle, the father of Samuel, who built this house in 1796. Samuel Tuttle died in 1800, and his eldest son Silas inherited the property. Stephen Tuttle, the younger brother of Silas, was born in the house and graduated the head of his class in 1820 at West Point. After he graduated, he served as a lieutenant in the Corps of Engineers. He also taught at West Point. Silas Tuttle served as a New Jersey Assemblymen from Morris County from 1837-1838.
The house and property remained in the Tuttle family for over 140 years until the early twentieth century. At that time, the house and property were purchased by the Spada family, who owned the house for the last 97 years. The Spada family listed the Joseph Tuttle House on the National Register for Historic Places 1977. Hanover Township acquired the property from the Spada family in May 2019.