MADISON — On March 2, 2020 the MCH Preschool at 25 Cook Avenue, Madison, celebrated Dr. Seuss’ birthday with special story readings, crafts and activities.
“Stop everything and read” was an all-day event in which Thursday Morning Club members partnered with the Preschool to read 6 different Dr. Seuss books throughout the day. Every hour the 3’s & 4’s class gathered together hear a story.
The TMC Guest Story Readers for the day were:
Sue Hoover I Am Not Going to Get Up Today!
Jo-Ann Musorofiti Green Eggs and Ham
Nancy Monahan Mr. Brown can Moo can You
Lauren Jouan The Cat in The Hat
Carol Sturdevant One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Mary Ann Albanese Hop on Pop
Both classes made Cat in the Hat hats, cooked up some yummy green eggs and ham for snack time and had over 20 different Dr. Seuss books available in the classroom libraries.
The STEAM challenge was to build a tower of Cat Hats using cups and index cards.
- The children made a hypothesis as to how tall they could build the tower.
- The children were given the materials and constructed the tower.
- The children counted and recorded the # of cups and the # of cards used.
- The children made a drawing of their tower.
- The children dictated a journal entry to share their findings and results.
Later in the day teachers and children used the class journal to reflect on the challenge, and children had an opportunity to share their findings with their friends.
The day ended with Read Across America stickers and singing Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss!
The Madison Community House Preschool is currently enrolling for 2020-2021 school year. Contact them at (973) 377-0244 for a tour.