HANOVER TOWNSHIP — On Sunday morning, February 17, Hanover Township Police Sergeant Anthony Vitanza, Police Officers Josh Williams, Mike Byrnes and Marc Leggour all responded to the Hanover Marriott for a fight in progress involving several people.
Upon arrival Officer Williams attempted to speak with the hotel front desk employee to get information and was confronted by Mr. Oscar Coreas, 24, Dover. Mr. Coreas told Officer Williams that he was not needed and to leave the hotel. Officer Williams asked him to step aside so he could talk to the front desk employee. Mr. Coreas continued telling Officer Williams to leave and refused to back away so Officer Williams put his hand up to create distance which caused Mr. Coreas to become more belligerent and unruly.
Sergeant Vitanza respond into the lobby area to assist Officer Williams as an angry crowd began forming. Officer Williams attempted to arrest Mr. Coreas for Obstruction but he resisted causing other officers to respond to assist. During this incident, several officers from surrounding towns responded to help quell the large crowd that was forming.
Officer AJ Ohlsen from Parsippany-Troy Hills Police Department was assaulted and went to the hospital for his injuries.
Both Sergeant Vitanza and Officer Williams went to the hospital as well for minor injuries.
Several people were arrested and charged with the following offenses.
1. Mr. Coreas was charged with Inciting a riot, Failure to disperse, Obstruction and Disorderly conduct.
2. Ms. Erika Pineda-Rios, 21, Morristown, was charged with Aggravated assault on law enforcement, Riot, Failure to disperse, Disorderly and Resisting arrest.
3. Mr. Jean Pineda-Rios, 24, Morristown, was charged with Aggravated assault on law enforcement, Riot, Failure to disperse, Disorderly, Resisting arrest and Obstruction.
4. Mr. Jean Congolino-Mosquer, 23, Parsippany, was charged with Aggravated assault on law enforcement, Riot, Failure to disperse, Disorderly, Resisting arrest and Obstruction.
5. Mr. Nelson Hernandez-Bernal, 25, Morris Plains, was charged with Riot, Failure to disperse and Disorderly.
6. Ms. Samantha Santiago, 27, Morristown, was charged with Riot, Failure to disperse and Disorderly.
7. Mr. Fredy Umanzor-Alvardo, 24, Playa Del Ray, California was charged with Riot, Failure to disperse and Disorderly.
8. Mr. Jose Guzman, 24, Morristown, was charged with Riot, Failure to disperse and Disorderly.
All actors were arrested, transported to Hanover Township Police Headquarters for processing and were then released pending their court dates.
Editor’s Note: A criminal complaint is merely an accusation. Despite this accusation, the defendant is presumed innocent until he or she is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.